The Hebron Baptist Story
1954 - 2004
Written for the dedication of
the new Limaburg Road sanctuary,
September 19, 2004.
John Steinbeck once asked, “How will we know us
without our past?” This is an ex-cellent question, and one we are wise
to consider. As a church, we
cannot rightly understand who we are today without first understanding
who we were yesterday.
Likewise, we cannot correctly steer a course for the future without
first considering and learning from our past experiences.
As we look back on the history of
Church, we will trace a pattern of God’s
faithfulness to Himself and to us as He has worked out (and is working
out) His purposes for His covenant people.
It was not until the calling of Howard Alexander in
1956 to the pastorate of Sand Run Baptist Church
that Bro. Jennings’ vision finally gained momentum.
By 1958, meeting space was located, rent free, at the old store
property of Mrs. Bessie Ernst, and Robert Cave
was elected as Sunday School Superintendent for the new Hebron Baptist
After a successful
and revival meetings the week of Aug. 4, 1958, the new mission began
meeting for Sunday School on Aug. 10.
After only a few short months in the old Ernst store, roof leaks,
a burst water pump, and a broken furnace forced the mission to relocate.
In Jan., 1959, new meeting facilities were secured as
the Hebron mission began renting the nearby
Masonic Lodge for its weekly meetings.
Rev. Wright, of Sand Run Baptist Church, would preach on Sunday mornings at Hebron prior to Sunday
School and then preach at Sand Run as part of the regular worship hour.
As the mission continued to grow and time demands increased for Rev.
Wright, it was apparent that the
mission needed a shepherd of its own.
On Dec. 6, 1959, the Rev. Gene A. Phillips was called
by Sand Run Baptist Church
to be the full-time pastor of the Hebron Baptist Mission.
was also organized at this time under the directorship of Edward Mavity.
The young mission was growing.
In response to the continued growth of the mission
work in Hebron,
two acres of land were acquired on Aug. 30, 1961, for the purpose of
constructing a permanent gathering place.
After a meeting with the Sand Run church council, it was decided
that the “mother church” did not possess the financial resources to
support the building of a new facility; and the
mission would have to build on her own.
As a result, the Hebron Baptist Mission was led to
constitute as the Hebron Baptist
Church on Dec. 3, 1961.
Shortly thereafter, Hebron was accepted in
Sept. of 1962 into the North Bend Baptist Association.
The fledgling mission had now spread her wings and was learning
to fly as a self-supporting congregation.
Additional property was purchased on Aug. 30, 1963,
in response to a recommendation presented to the congregation on Oct. 3,
1962. The trustees quickly
secured a loan in the amount of $26,000 to finance the construction of a
new basement. The first
services on the Route 20 campus were held on Feb. 2, 1964.
The building was later dedicated to the glory of God on March 15,
The physical landscape was not the only thing that
had changed. Reverend
Phillips resigned in July, 1962, to serve as a missionary in France.
In Aug., 1962, Reverend Leo Drake was called as interim pastor and was
later accepted as the second pastor of
in May, 1963. After a brief
Rev. Drake resigned in 1965 to serve as
superintendent of the Baptist
in Newport, KY.
Rev. Gayle Toole was called as the third pastor in
Jan., 1966. Under his
leadership a loan was secured in 1967 to build a new sanctuary, phase
two. The new sanctuary was
dedicated to God’s service and for His glory on August 27, 1967
After a successful seven years of ministry at
Hebron, Brother Toole accepted the call to serve as pastor of
in Nicholasville, KY.
Dr. George Redding of
College was called upon to
serve as interim minister until a new pastor was located.
The new pastor was Robert Kiper, who served from Jan. 23, 1974,
to Feb. 8, 1977. He was
succeeded by Ronald Chastain, who was called to serve as pastor on June
12, l977. After six years of
devoted leadership that witnessed much growth in the membership, Bro.
Ron resigned on Oct. 30, 1983
The sixth pastor was Bro. Mark Keith.
Mark began his tenure, the longest of any pastor at
Hebron, on Jan. 22, 1984.
Under his leadership, the church completed a renovation of the
sanctuary and the third phase of the Route 20 campus by adding a
much-needed education wing.
Bro. Mark resigned from the pastorate on August 18, 1996.
Shortly after Bro. Mark’s departure, the Jo Crigler
property was purchased for the relocation of the church to
This property was purchased in response to the prospect of losing
the Rt. 20 campus to the Greater Cincinnati/
Northern Kentucky Airport
On June 22, 1997, Bro. Ryan Wagers was called to
serve as the seventh pastor.
After a brief stay, Bro. Ryan resigned on April 23, 2000.
One month later, Dr. Gayle Toole, former pastor of
Church, was asked to return as the interim
Less than a year later, Dr. Toole was called to be
the eighth pastor, the only pastor to have served twice at
Under his guidance, Hebron Baptist
Church was once again led
through the process of building a new facility.
In June 2003, the process of moving to
Limaburg Rd. took Hebron Baptist
Church to 3340 Logan Road, a
temporary home that would suffice until the completion of construction
on a new home. The Logan location was a profitable one in which
29 new additions were made, and the church family was drawn closer
On Aug. 29, 2004,
Hebron Baptist Church
opened its doors for the first Sunday worship gathering at the new Limaburg Road